Mac-Ride Child's Bike Seat
Want your kids to enjoy MTB as much as you do? Start 'em young with the Mac-Ride child bike seat, which not only lets you take your child out on the trails, but helps them get comfortable on the bike and learn some key bike skills at an early age.
We are pumped to be stocking this unique front-mounted child bike seat, specifically designed by mountain bikers for offroad use, which encourages your child to actively participate in your ride. A sellout hit when it first launched on Kickstarter, the Mac-Ride is now available direct in Australia!
MacRide was designed by a father and engineer who wanted a high quality, lightweight seat that was specifically designed for MTB use. After years of prototyping, testing and development, the resulting seat is a sleek, custom-fabricated, anodised aluminium creation that is worthy of using on even the finest carbon adult mountain bike!
Why is Mac-Ride the perfect child bike seat for MTB?
- Seated up front, your child is encouraged to hold the handlebars and learn how it feels to move with the bike and look where they are going.
- Your child sits right where you can talk to them, point out the sites and aspects of the trail, and share the ride with them.
- Your arms go around your child, protecting them and helping them feel safe as you ride.
- Because there are no buckles or harnesses, your child can learn to stand up (with their feet in the adjustable Mac-Ride stirrups) over obstacles. This not only teaches them the skills to absorb bumps in their arms and legs, but makes for a much more comfortable ride (less being bumped around!).
- The saddle is shaped with a significant "scoop" in it, so that your child will always settle into the lowest part of the saddle and stay in place, no matter what bike the MacRide is installed on. It also means they don't have to use arm strength to keep themselves in place while climbing or descending.
- It's easier for the adult rider to maintain a comfortable, safe riding position. Regular rear-mounted seats place a lot of weight right at the back of the bike, and other front-mounted seats (with backrests and harnesses) put a lot of bulk between the rider and the bars, which can result in having to splay knees wide and adopt other uncomfortable postures. MacRide weighs just 1.65kg !
- The stirrups have angle adjust and length adjust to allow for different child sizes, and to make sure your child's feet are out of the way of moving parts. The stirrupds are designed to hold your childs feet in place as your ride, but are deliberately elastic so they release in the event of an accident.
- Installs in under 20 seconds without tools, and without touching any part of your frame. Just clamps onto the provided 10mm headset spacer and your seat post.
Who can use Mac-Ride?
- The Mac-Ride suits kids approximately 2-5 years old (they need the strength and coordination to hold themselves upright and ability to follow instructions to hold onto the handlebars).
Will Mac-Ride fit my bike?
The MacRide is designed to fit a wide range of bikes, as it use telescoping aluminimum main tubes to adjust to your specific bike. However here are the key specs to note:
- The included headset spacers fit the standard 1 ⅛” steerer tube, however, there is a non standard 1 ¼” spacer available for the Giant Overdrive 2 steerer tube.
- You will need at least a 10mm headset spacer (which the MacRide spacer will replace) under your stem for the MacRide to fit.
- Mac Ride can fit with a 50mm stem, but only if there is more than 10mm of spacers. If you have only the minimum, 10mm, and the shape of your stem extends downward, then there might not be enough room for the the Mac Ride bolt to fasten the front mount to your stem. One possible solution-- if you have spacers above your stem, you can move them below your stem instead, creating more room for the swap with the Mac Ride spacer.
- Your top tube and down tubes should be no more than 60mm wide. This will ensure the stirrups have clearance on either side of your bike. The total distance from stirrup to stirrup is 70mm.
- MacRide works with most dropper posts, as the rear clamp connects to the dropper seat post below the collar. This works with almost all dropper posts. The exceptions are for those droppers with a larger mechanism that hangs to the side of the post, for example, the KS Lev dropper.
- MacRide adds very minimal weight to your bike - just 1.65kg!
Installation and setup:
With some relatively quick set-up, you'll have the freedom to take the Mac-Ride on and off your bike quickly
- First you'll need to install the included headset spacer, which you leave on your bike for as long as you want to be able to use MacRide (Each MacRide comes with 2 x standard 1 1/8th steerer spacers, meaning you can install a spacer on 2 different bikes to easily swap your one MacRide between those two bikes).
- The front clamp of the Mac-Ride fits around this headset spacer and is secured by a captive allen bolt. Once the allen key bolted is fully tightened the clamp has enough tolerance to allow the spacer to turn inside the clamp, thus allowing you to steer with little or no resistance.
- A rear clamp attaches to the seat post and a 3 point mount which can enlarge or shrink depending on the size of the seat tube.
- Once set up, you can easily install and remove when needed using the quick release.
- The stirrups have angle adjust and length adjust. Angle adjust is made using one allen key bolt and length adjust is by spring button.
- 2 x standard 1 1/8th steerer spacers