Maxxis Ikon Tyre
Developed for cross country racing on hardpack or loose over hard terrain.
As you can expect, it is a light-weight, super-fast rolling tyre so you won't be giving any to the competition on the climbs or on long gruelling straights. Considering it's low knob height, it still performs admirably if it starts to rain halfway through your ride.
Using a larger high-volume casing, the Maxxis Ikon is able to be run at lower pressures to give provide more traction than its competitors.
Using triple compound rubbers and the very robust EXO protection in the sidewall the Maxxis Ikon is a premium product.
In the 2.20" size, the Ikon is perfect on an XC bike front or rear, or run it on the back with an Ardent Race up front for a touch more traction. 2.20" size runs Maxxis' lightning fast 3c Maxx Speed compound too.
In the 2.35" size, it makes a great high volume rear tyre on a trail bike when teamed up with either an Aggressor, Minion DHF or MinionDHR 2. The 2.35" size utilises Maxxis' grippy 3C Maxx Terra compound, or the hard and quick 3C Maxx Speed
- Light-weight and fast rolling
- Best suited to harder surfaces
- Sizes for XC bikes or trail bikes
- EXO protection and 3c Triple compound rubbers
- 26 x 2.2 - 3C Maxx Speed - EXO - TR Kevlar Folding - 540g
- 27.5 x 2.2 - 3C Maxx Speed - EXO - TR Kevlar Folding - 600g
- 27.5 x 2.2 - Single Compound - Single Ply - TR Kevlar Folding (Skinwall) - 590g
- 27.5 x 2.35 - 3C Maxx Speed - EXO - TR Kevlar Folding - 705g
- 27.5 x 2.35 - 3C Maxx Terra - DD - TR Kevlar Folding - 935g
- 27.5+ x 2.8 - 3C Maxx Speed - EXO - TR Kevlar Folding - 770g
- 27.5+ x 2.8 - Dual Compound - EXO - TR Kevlar Folding - 770g
- 29 x 2.2 - 3C Maxx Speed - EXO - TR Kevlar Folding - 640g
- 29 x 2.2 - 3C Maxx Speed - Single Ply - TR Kevlar Folding (Skinwall) - 685g
- 29 x 2.35 - 3C Maxx Speed - EXO - TR Kevlar Folding - 740g
- 29 x 2.6 - 3C Maxx Speed - EXO - TR Kevlar Folding - 840g
Ratings & Reviews
Great rear tyre
by Brett W. -
Great tyres, I use these on both rears of my MTB's, real grippy in dry trails, bit loose in wet conditions. Great when climbing or on rocky sections, bites in to get great traction.
My young bloke races with
by PM -
My young bloke races with one of these on the rear and loves them. Must be OK as he's faster than me...
Fast rolling, light and grip well
by Simon O. -
Replaced Ignitors with these, 26x2.2 front and back. Visibly lower side knobs but they still grip and corner well, not noticeably worse than Ingnitors. Roll on the straight faster than Ignitor. Predominantly riding on dry hardpack with plenty of loose gravel & sand. May prove a bit slippery in the wet but time will tell. Rode these on the Flinders Ranges Outback Epic 109km. Fantastic until 64km where i received a 2cm sidewall slice in the rear. Held up with ziploc back and a tube! Tyre had only done ~200km, spewing! Since been stitched & patched and running tubeless again fine. Not necessarily recommended and inspected before & after every ride!
Ikon Tyre Review
by Scott L. -
So far so good. Nice plump 2.3 carcass. EXO sidewall is good balance between tough and light. Super-quick dry conditions rear tire for hard core trail type set up. I'm running it with cushcore and doing a mix of fast xc loops and rocky technical terrain.
Best XC you can buy
by GLENN A. -
Love the Maxxis Ikon tyres have tried most other brands and nothing has the grip, feel or durability they have. Won't buy any other tyre for all round riding in all conditions.
Used as rear on 29er
by Johno22 -
Used as rear on 29er Anthem tubeless