Are you our new Head of Inventory and Purchasing?
MTB Direct is a leading Australian online retailer selling mountain bike parts, clothing, and accessories to riders around the country (and increasingly around the world). We’ve been recognised in a bunch of awards for our consistent, fast growth and our forward-thinking approach to business (AFR Fast100; Telstra Business Awards; Westpac Business of Tomorrow; Deloitte’s Tech 50 list).
We’re a rapidly growing online business, with a strong reputation running on Netsuite. Having recently launched our website in New Zealand utilising a local 3PL in addition to our Australian 3PL, this is a really exciting time to join the team.
Why does this role exist?
The Head of Inventory and Purchasing takes ownership of all stock-related processes and decisions, including supplier relationships and terms, and is responsible for optimising the allocation of capital across our catalog to achieve our business objectives.
So who do we need?
We need you to be -
- Commercially minded and confident in negotiating mutually beneficial outcomes with our suppliers.
- Able to identify process inefficiencies, innovate processes and develop repeatable systems and approaches to manage the tasks and projects that fall to the inventory team.
- All about data, measuring impact, and making data-driven decisions.
- An on the tools doer. You get stuff done. You can consistently execute on ideas.
- Comfortable supervising and supporting our Inventory team, and confident to oversee the team as it grows.
- Keen to stay on top of market trends and integrate qualitative and quantitative insights to guide ranging and own-brand product decisions.
- Stoked on our values and clear on how they would play out in our marketing.
- Comfortable in Netsuite or other similar systems, and able to whip up saved searches and reports to get the data you need.
- Ready to learn and work with us as we expand and explore existing and new opportunities!
What are the requirements?
We’re really interested to hear from candidates with relevant experience - we believe demonstrating deep, relevant experience trumps a piece of paper any day! We’re looking for someone who can clearly demonstrate experience and success in:
- Building relationships with vendors to achieve business goals.
- Managing a relatively large SKU count within Netsuite or a similar ERP system.
- Managing, encouraging, and getting the most out of a team.
- Project management - while formal project management training is not required, a demonstrated track record of managing projects and teams is a must.
What does that all look like in practice?
Well if you’d been with us over the last month, you would have -
- Worked with key suppliers to arrange rebates and bespoke deals.
- Identified new supply risks for some categories and arranged alternate stock/brands/vendors.
- Kicked off a project with our supply chain forecasting partner to review capital allocation actress categories and brands.
- Repriced items where you’d identified low sell-through and high margin.
- Worked with our own-brand product manager to allocate budget to various lines based on MOQ & lead time.
- Identified inefficient processes with one of our 3PLs and worked with them to reduce the effort required by our Inventory Operations team.
- Worked collaboratively with our internal IT team to adjust processes in Netsuite to improve reporting accuracy.
- Supported and managed our Inventory Operations team.
- Planned next month’s promotions with the Head of Digital Marketing based on current stock and recent price changes.
- Negotiated deals with our vendors to promote new brands.
- Met with suppliers to reduce error rates and manual labour requirements when receiving stock at our 3PLs.
- Reported back to the COO & CEO about performance, analysis and next steps on all of the above.
What about the details?
Sure, here are a few other bits and pieces about this role -
Location: Wherever! You’ll be working remotely. Our whole team works remotely, using apps like Slack to chat and do regular calls. You’ll just need a home office / work-from-home setup with reliable, fast internet.
Hours and remuneration: You'll be primarily working from home, with no commute (or corporate uniform!) required. You’ll work an agreed set of hours each week - we can be flexible on which hours but they will be agreed in advance so we know when you’ll be around and we can make sure we hit all our targets and deadlines!
This is a full-time role with a salary that will vary depending on the experience of the candidate, with an indicative range of $80,000-$120,000.
Sound like you? Then here’s how to apply!
As well as sending a PDF copy of your current CV, please include a covering email that outlines why you believe you’re a great fit for this role. In that email, please make specific reference to -
- Any previous roles or work that included similar responsibilities, and what outcomes were achieved.
- Any previous experience working remotely/with a remote team.
- Any previous work with businesses similar to us (agile, rapidly growing, e-commerce).
Please email applications to email@example.com with the subject line “I’m [NAME] and I’m applying to be your new Head of Inventory and Purchasing” before 5pm (Melbourne time) Friday 5th March 2021.