Join MTB Direct and help us fill a brand new role fuelled by our continual growth.
We’re on the lookout for a Financial Controller!
MTB Direct is a leading Australian online retailer selling mountain bike parts, clothing, and accessories to riders around the country (and increasingly around the world). We’ve been recognised in a bunch of awards for our consistent, fast growth and our forward-thinking approach to business (AFR Fast100; Telstra Business Awards; Westpac Business of Tomorrow; Deloitte’s Tech 50 list). Having recently launched our website in New Zealand, this is a really exciting time to join the team and to fill a brand new role.
We use Oracle Netsuite for everything from inventory management to paying bills and all reporting. Our new Financial Controller (FC) will be responsible for maintaining all accounting and financial systems within the company and externally, from paying suppliers for each of our three subsidiaries right through to management reports, compliance, preparing BAS and EOY financial reports, and forecasting - all done with an eye towards system improvements.
So who do we need?
We need you to be -
- Able to think strategically and see the big picture, including the analysis and interpretation of financial data to provide advice to the Board.
- Highly accurate and able to manage multiple competing priorities.
- Stoked on our values and clear on what they mean for you as a part of our team and in this role.
- Able to prepare meaningful reports and lodge all tax returns, annual returns, and statutory reports on time, as well as being responsible for overall compliance with statutory disclosure requirements.
- Able to manage the financial risk and exposure of the company and ensure compliance with minimum balances, ratios, and repayment of debt facilities in accordance with contractual obligations.
- Prepared to get on the tools. We’re a lean team and you will need to be the financial ‘go-to’, including accounts payable, bank reconciliations, and other administrative duties.
- Able to clearly articulate problems, solutions, and processes so we can get the necessary team members up to speed quickly.
- Able to develop and maintain accounting and financial policy for the company and monitor compliance with established standards and procedures. This includes the review of systems and procedures regularly and proposing upgrades or revisions to procedures or controls.
- Able to present researched options, with a reasoned recommendation, to decision-makers where required.
- Able to evaluate and interpret all corporate and operational budgets.
- Able to innovate processes and work towards optimum efficiency.
What are the requirements?
- Demonstrated experience with Australian taxation reporting and compliance. Experience with New Zealand taxation reporting is not essential but would be looked upon favourably.
- Previous experience in a financial or management accounting role with success in the areas listed above.
- Oracle Netsuite experience would be beneficial but is not required - however other ERP experience would be helpful.
- CPA/CA registration not required although would be favourable.
What does the role look like in practice?
Well if you’d been with us over the last few months, you would have –
- Completed monthly bank reconciliations and closed accounting periods for our three subsidiaries, including intercompany loans and other EOM procedures.
- Ensured all suppliers for both Australia and New Zealand were paid on time and accurately.
- Prepared the December BAS return and lodged with the ATO.
- Analysed EOY reports and prepared forecasts, scenarios, and strategic options for the coming year.
What about the details?
Sure, here are a few other bits and pieces about this role -
Location:Ideally Brisbane or the Gold Coast, however this is not a prerequisite. The team members you’ll be working closest with live in these areas, so if you’re local we’d catch up periodically, but our whole team works remotely, using apps like Slack to chat and have regular calls. Either way, you will need a home office / work-from-home setup with reliable, fast internet.
Hours and remuneration: You'll be primarily working from home, with no commute (or corporate uniform!) required. You’ll work an agreed set of hours each week - we can be flexible on which hours but they will be agreed in advance so we know when you’ll be around and we can make sure we hit all our targets and deadlines!
This is a full-time role with a salary of around $120K+ - noting that the actual salary may vary depending on the person we find and their experience level.
Sound like you? Then here’s how to apply!
As well as sending a PDF copy of your current CV, please include a covering email that outlines why you believe you’re a great fit for this role. In that email, please make specific reference to -
- Any previous roles or work that included similar responsibilities, and what outcomes were achieved.
- Any previous experience working remotely/with a remote team.
- Any previous work with businesses similar to us (SMB, agile, rapidly growing, e-commerce).
Please email applications to email@example.com with the subject line “I’m [NAME] and I’m applying to be your new Financial Controller” before 5pm (Melbourne time) Friday 12th February 2021.