Cane Creek Hellbender Bottom Bracket
The Hellbender BB is available for 30mm spindle cranksets only, and is available in variants to fit most bottom bracket standards. The press-fit varieties (BB30, PF30) use a thread-together system where one cup is pressed in and the other one threads into it to lock things down, ensuring perfect alignment without any annoying creeks. The BB92 style press-fit does not have room for any cups due to the lack of space created by the 30mm bearings so these use a lipped bearing that presses into the BB shell directly.
Style: Available in BSA 68/73 threaded, PF30, BB30, and BB92 (PF41) variants.
Spindle size (diameter): 30mm only
Bearing Style: Cane Creek Hellbender Neo - Solid lube technology (developed by SKF) is impervious to jet washing and does not allow for the ingress of dirt, water, or other contaminants. They will last much longer than a standard bearing
Bearing Cup/shell material: 6061 T6 machined aluminium cups with dual-stage anodised black and gold finish. (BB92/PF41 variant does not come with cups).
Installation tools: BSA Threaded and PF30/BB30 Threadfit models require a 12 notch, 46mm OD BB tool (same as Raceface Cinch/SRAM DUB).
What's in the box:
- BSA/PF30/BB30: Bearings, BB cups, spacers
- BB92/PF41: Lipped bearings (no cups), spacers
Cons: The solid lube technology will create slightly more drag than a regular bearing, especially on the first couple of rides. This will loosen up slightly after an initial break-in period but then it will always feel the same over the (long!) lifetime of the bearing and will not degrade further. A standard bearing will feel much smoother at first but will degrade much more over time as the grease breaks down and dirt/water ingress occurs.
- If you are the kind of rider that obsesses over tiny percentile efficiency losses/gains, then this may not be the BB for you.
- If you are a rider that wants a reliable bottom bracket that quietly does its job for years on end then this may be the BB you've been looking for.
- For the 12 notch 46mm OD BB tool, Click Here.
- For the BSA Threaded Installation Instructions, Click Here.
- For the BB30/PF30 Installation Instructions, Click Here.
- For the BB92/PF41 Installation Instructions, Click Here.